Accidental Garage Fire in Sterling Displaces Two, Causes $70,000 in Damages

Thursday afternoon November 30, 2023, around 2:00 p.m., the Loudoun County Emergency Communications Center received a 911 call from a resident reporting a fire at their home on East Juniper Avenue in Sterling. Fire and Rescue teams from Sterling Park, Cascades, Kincora, and Fairfax County, along with command officers from both Loudoun and Fairfax, were promptly dispatched to the scene.

Upon arrival, firefighters encountered a two-story, single-family home with visible smoke emerging from the attached garage. They quickly confirmed that everyone in the home was safe and managed to extinguish the fire in the garage without delay.

During the initial 911 call, dispatchers at the ECC instructed the residents to close the door to the garage as they evacuated, a move that helped prevent the fire and smoke from spreading further into the house. This incident highlights the importance of such simple actions in protecting property and lives during a fire.

The Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Fire Marshal’s Office has determined the fire to be accidental, caused by smoking materials that were improperly discarded in a garage trashcan. The damage is estimated at $70,000, and two adults have been displaced. Fortunately, there were no injuries reported among firefighters or civilians.

 

Share the Post: