Early Morning House Fire in Sterling Caused by Unattended Candles

Early Monday morning, a house fire in Sterling, Virginia, led to injuries for two local residents. The blaze, which officials have traced back to neglected candles, erupted before 2 a.m. on North Fillmore Avenue.

Responding to multiple 911 calls, fire units from Sterling Park, Cascades, Kincora, and neighboring Fairfax County converged on the scene. Sterling’s Engine 611 was first to report the active fire at a single-family residence. A Rapid Intervention Task Force, along with LCFR’s Rehabilitation and Mobile Air Units, were quickly deployed.

Thankfully, all household members were safely outside as firefighters tackled the flames, which had engulfed the first floor and rear exterior. Efforts to control the fire included a search for the family’s pets. Tragically, one cat was found deceased, and two more remain missing. The family dog is now under the care of Loudoun County Animal Services. Two residents, present at the time of the incident, received treatment for minor burns, and one firefighter was also evaluated post-incident. Three displaced individuals are now receiving support from the American Red Cross.

The Loudoun County Fire Marshal’s Office has classified the fire as accidental, with damages estimated at nearly half a million dollars. In light of this event, fire officials are urging the community to exercise caution with candle use, recommending constant adult supervision and the consideration of flameless alternatives.

Share the Post: