Sterling Resident Displaced Due to Candle-Related Fire Incident

In Sterling, a recent incident has underscored the critical importance of candle safety. The Loudoun County Combined Fire and Rescue System (LC-CFRS) has issued a reminder to the community following a structure fire that resulted in the displacement of a resident.

On the morning of Wednesday, January 10, 2024, around 10:58 a.m., emergency units from various departments, including Sterling, Kincora, Cascades, Fairfax County, the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority, and Loudoun County Command Staff, were dispatched to a reported structure fire on Warwick Court in Sterling. The initial report came from a concerned individual who noticed smoke and heard alarms sounding from a nearby apartment.

Upon arrival, the emergency crews found a two-story apartment building with no apparent external signs of fire. However, a thorough inspection revealed smoke conditions inside a second-floor unit. The firefighters, forming a Rapid Intervention Task Force, promptly entered the apartment. Their investigation led them to a smoldering fire contained within a tabletop, indicating a potential candle-related incident. The situation was brought under control with efforts focused on smoke removal and preventing any further spread of the fire.

The Loudoun County Fire and Rescue Fire Marshal’s Office investigation classified the fire as accidental, resulting from an unattended candle. No one was home at the time of the incident and no civilian or firefighter injuries were reported. The single occupant was displaced, and damages are estimated at $25,000.

 

Share the Post: